What are the 3 stages of MND?
The different types of MND cause similar symptoms and have three stages: early, middle, and advanced. The diseases progress at different speeds and vary in severity.
What are the 4 types of MND?
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS): ALS is the most common form of MND and accounts for about 60 -70% of the total MND cases.
- Progressive muscular atrophy.
- Primary lateral sclerosis.
- Progressive bulbar palsy.
- Flail arm / Flail leg variants.
What is the main cause of MND?
Generally, MND is believed to be caused because of a combination of environmental, lifestyle and genetic factors. Most cases of MND develop without an obvious cause. Around 1 in 10 cases are ‘familial’, meaning the condition is inherited. This is due to a genetic mutation, or an error in the gene.